Thursday, February 9, 2012

Undeniable Stupidity - Part Deux

The night I had a fight with my husband and all was already well, he experienced a strange sort of panic attack.


His whole body was shaking, he can't talk and whenever he does, he stutters. 


I asked him to breathe in and out...slowly. But he couldn't. He was hyperventilating at most times. 


I kept on asking him random questions to get his mind off of what's causing the panic attack but it keeps on coming back.


A few minutes later, he confessed a horrible experience he had in Afghanistan. He blamed himself for it and all I could say is "you need to get this off your chest. It's not your fault." But in reality, I really can't give him advise. It's easy for me to say "let it go" because I've never experienced what he's been through. 


What can I really say about it? I don't know what to do either. I don't know how to act. I don't know if I should remember what he said. I don't know if I'm supposed to reflect on it and remember it each time I'm upset or disappointed; or annoyed. 


At least I know a little bit about my husband that takes a little worry off my chest. While having his panic attack, I asked him to take his calming pills. He took two - which was just right because his prescription was one to two PRN. He was so scared to sleep. I told him to take his sleeping pills. He said "no, I won't do that. I might not wake up. I already took my pain meds and my calming meds. If I take the sleep med, I'd overdose."


List of Worries: Overdosing on medication. I can sleep a little less lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment